Monday, December 15, 2008

Fished


The other day, in a conversation with someone totally kankei nai to the mission, I said, "We set up a time to meet when I was in town, but then he totally fished me." I had to stop, backtrack a little, and explain what "fished" meant.

"You see, once I was a missionary in Okinawa Japan where there were a lot of people who fished . . ."

My wife, a linguistics major, tells me English is unique in that it is more adaptable than any other language, and thus has the most tango of all the languages. It fascinates me to think of how the senkyoshi usage of "fished" came into being. Obviously it stemmed from a need. The closest equivalent I can think of to "fished" is "Stood up". But "stood up", to me at least, has a more romantic disappointment connotation. Senkyoshis needed a more platonic way to express being "stood up" . . . . because , let's face it, it was a daily occurrence. And thus "fished" was adapted to suit the need.

The Japan Fukuoka Mission Alumni Site's Missionary Vocabulary section has an entry for "Fished" though the definition only reads, "see Spoked".

I kinda wish everyone used "Fished" the way we did, that way I could say it as often as I want.

4 comments:

  1. Mission jargon always seemed to rub me the wrong way. I got used to speaking it, but still...

    I remember how shocked I was when in my first area (Naha Minami), everybody around me kept saying, "Oh my freakin' A." I may be terribly naive, but to this day, I have no idea what the "A" is referring to. Someone enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Cline, according to our contemporary lexicon "A" makes reference to "ambiguous", which clearly means that you can insert the expletive of your choice. My favorite is "giddy aunt".

    I wish there was a good translation for gaman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember "A" so much, but "freak" . . . freak yeah.

    I also said "dude" way more on the mission than I had ever before or ever should have.

    It would be so awesome if everyone knew what you were talking about when you said "Gaman"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I was addicted to "dude" also.

    ReplyDelete