Friday, December 5, 2008

Itoman's New Chapel

Sometime in 2006 I received an letter from Kishimoto Shimai from Itoman which contained only this chirashi. Let's face it, I couldn't read it. I gleaned it was about an open house for a new building on March 18th and that was pretty much it. Even the location eluded me. From the picture it looks like a temple, but since there were no temples in Okinawa I figured it was a new stake center or something. Then much more recently when I was locating chapels on the Japan Dendobu Google Map I noticed that the Itoman Chapel was not in the same place as I remembered it. I didn't put the chirashi from an Itoman member and a new Itoman Chapel location together, though now in retrospect it seems very obvious. Well the mystery was solved on the Japan Okinawa Facebook Group when Emmit Ricks talked about the new chapel which he saw during his recent trip back to Okinawa. He also posted photos.

His exact words were, "The new Itoman Chapel is amazing. It is like 5 stories tall and looks like a temple. I'll post a picture or two. It isn't at all in the same place it was. It is right by the only McDonald's in Itoman."

I was a little surprised to find out that even with this beautiful new building Itoman is still a branch. Ricks said there were about 40 members in attendance on the Sunday he was there (about ten more than when we were there) and the Branch President asked him to give a talk on the spot. Glad to know that despite staggering progress, some things never change.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty crazy that there is such a nice building in Itoman. It looks nicer, even, than the Shuri chapel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and where is the dark stairway for Triff seduction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to remember where the old Itoman Chapel was.

    I remember that it was one or two streets away from the shimai's apato and I also know that the choro's apato is visible from shimai's apato. Thanks, McQueen and Chestnut!

    I also remember that the chapel had a small park in front of it, and a large street behind it.

    So using that info, I've pinpointed the old chapel and the shimai apato to be here.

    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&t=k&msa=0&msid=105820861465288078991.00045b0cd5c4b4f4597be&ll=26.136908,127.66926&spn=0.003453,0.006974&z=18

    Does that look right, to anyone else?

    ReplyDelete