Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cosmos and Moonbeam


Solen and I were tracting one night in Kadena as our companions were off elsewhere doing the work of the Lord (we hoped). Okinawan nights were always so dark, and this night was no exception. We knocked on one door and were startled when an American opened it up. He came outside, got in our personal space, shut the door behind him, and proceeded to give us a hard time. It was the typical "bible-bashing" kind of stuff.

I was taken aback, not because I couldn't answer his questions, but because I always stumbled through my words when tracting out Americans. It was an unusual and uncomfortable situation for me. He, no doubt, interpreted my lack of gumption with weakness. He fed off of it.

But then, to our surprise, the door opened again and a woman with half of her head shaved said, "Jake! What are you doing? These guys go to my church. Come on in, guys."

Jake suddenly looked very embarrassed, "Oh man! I just wanted to have some fun with them."

Jane, the woman, was unknown to me. I was not attending the military branch in that area. She was inactive anyway. We entered the home where two other men were hard at work on the couch playing Sega.

Jane led us to a table and we sat down and began talking. A little while thereafter, two more people arrived at the house: a man and a woman, whom Solen and I nicknamed Cosmos and Moonbeam, respectively.

Cosmos sat down on the couch to get in on the Sega action. Moonbeam joined us at the table for the discussion. When she realized that religion was the topic, she piped up, "I don't really get into any religion right now, but I am finding a lot of joy playing Dungeons and Dragons."

As our discussion about God continued on, Cosmos, still sitting on the couch, leaned toward us and said, "You know, the gods of the elves and the dwarves are a lot like the gods of the Native Americans."

Uh-huh...................

Solen and I left not long after that, thankful to have been able to prove that there is escape from the Twilight Zone.

5 comments:

  1. Remember, "That's a lie from Satan, brother!"?

    Didn't some guys say that to you and Solen in Oyama, after you told him we "could be like the gods, knowing good and evil"?

    I still say that every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Some guy sure did say that to us. And I 've been saying it ever since. Even my kids get hear it. They'll tell me of some occurence that happened to them during the day, and I'll come back with a good, loud, "That a lie from Satan, brother!"

    They don't appreciate it.

    You and I had our own run-in with a preacher once, too. Remember that? Dan Daetz was his name. I can still picture the interior of his home. You and I sat at his table (you were at the head, appropriately so) and listened to him inform us that the Book of Mormon has to be false because it mentions steel, which hadn't been discovered/invented yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't recall this, though the steel thing does seem vaguely familiar.

    Oyama was certainly the Bible Belt era of my mission. So many guns (goons) with so many assertions about the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solen and I tracted into Dan Daetz on splits. I made the return appointment, which did not please Solen at all. He refused to go back. Since Dan lived in your area, you went with me to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sounding a lot more familiar. I decided I am going to reread my mission journals.

    ReplyDelete