Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The simple things of the mission...


I saw a commercial yesterday for Fed Ex in which a number of business executives were having a board meeting and discussing finances from the comfort of massage chairs. It reminded me of when we (Glass, Chesnut, Johnnie, and I) would go to an electronics store in Itoman on P-Days and sit in massage chairs and watch TV that was completely unintelligible. It caused me to reflect that is was the simple joys of living in Okinawa that made the mission not only bareable, but enjoyable. Like the bike trips around Itoman, the late night talks with friends, and the speculation about whose companion would be sent home early first.

4 comments:

  1. That would be it. We should have had district meetings there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got into the Best Denki scene. Give me a small, run-down obaa store packed with near-expired goods from exotic locations (like Camp Kadena) and I was a happy man.

    Zebra bread
    Melon bread
    Day-old bentos

    I loved the obaa stores. In Kadena there was one with a small staircase that led down into a small basement. It was poorly-lit and filled with the strangest stuff that had probably been placed out on sale back in the mid-80's. Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete